HEAT STROKE

General Udon Thani topics only!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

HEAT STROKE

Post by Doodoo » April 26, 2024, 1:32 pm

We all know that Heat Stroke is dangerous and can kill. So, now is the time to read up on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6vuVxqhta0

Not just for yourself but watch out for your friends

Hope this helps

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: HEAT STROKE

Post by semperfiguy » April 26, 2024, 1:55 pm

I think most of us are somewhat familiar with Heat Stroke and wouldn't put ourselves in situations that would lead to that, but we must also be aware of Heat Exhaustion. I walked a few laps around our village the other night as the sun was setting, and it was enough to cause Heat Exhaustion. After I showered and sat in my recliner for about two hours I became dizzy, nauseous and disoriented. It took a full day to recover. Us older guys should take care of ourselves and not take any chances. Just stay inside under the A/C and don't venture out in the hot weather unless it's absolutely necessary.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20373250
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 26, 2024, 2:06 pm

The health ministry said late Wednesday that 30 people had died from heatstroke between Jan 1 and April 17, compared with 37 in the whole of 2023.

USA

https://usafacts.org/articles/how-many- ... in-the-us/

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 26, 2024, 2:31 pm

A good and timely thread. When I was completing my Senior First Aid qualifications with NSW Rural Fire Service, a significant part of the course was heat related issues, it gets damned hot on the fire field so heat stroke is always on the cards.

An early warning sign is the colour of urine, when taking a piss look out for stream darkening from light yellow to orange. Dizziness and confusion are other indications. If you observe that, lots of water, but sip, sip, sip, ice soaked towels over neck and rest. Cold showers will all help get core temperature down.

Failure to do so will result in brain damage and failure of body coordination, in extreme cases death or quadraplegia..

Stay safe
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 27, 2024, 11:44 am

Another thing that can help us stay active through the heat is pre-hydration. Don't wait until you're hot and thirsty before you re-hydrate. Think of your body as an old, leaky car radiator that needs topping up on road trips.

NB: Chang isn't a good coolant.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 27, 2024, 12:46 pm

I note 3 threads on health related issues Covid , Malaria and very appropriate at the moment Heat stroke, btw looks like another full week ahead of these nasty temps...my truck was saying 42 at noon

Doctor DMs Heat stroke check list

Avoid any strenuous activity like gardening, golf ,walking and cycling ... (includes sex and or masturbation).
Stay in AC as much as possible.
Wear less/No clothes , ** i am in full on naturist mode when at home though do apply clothing if going to Makro.
Park the truck in the shade.
Drink more fluids (still no ice in Chang)
Make sure the HornPub subscriptions are up to date.
Eat a Wanilla Cornetto ice cream everyday
Take a shower at least once a week whether its needed or not (Australians only).
Take care of your pets.
Plan to expect a huge electric bill..dont get shocked.
Wear a hat and take off those socks... ladies should remove bras for more comfort.
Turn a ceiling or portable fan on low to assist your AC with cool air circulation.
Play the long game and wait it out until rainy season.

Hope that helps and stay safe.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 27, 2024, 1:27 pm

four people in my small village died last week from the heat..so be careful

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 27, 2024, 2:18 pm

maaka wrote:
April 27, 2024, 1:27 pm
four people in my small village died last week from the heat..so be careful
The official death toll was 30 from the heat, a guy in his 50's died near us yesterday. The real toll I suspect is in the thousands
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 27, 2024, 2:34 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 27, 2024, 12:46 pm
I note 3 threads on health related issues Covid , Malaria and very appropriate at the moment Heat stroke, btw looks like another full week ahead of these nasty temps...my truck was saying 42 at noon

DM
When can we expect this so-called rainy season to arrive? Khon Kaen has barely had any rain in the past six months.

I spent six hours on Thursday at Jomtien Beach. There was a beautiful strong wind. It felt nice.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 27, 2024, 2:52 pm

Lym, I think current forecast for rain is mid May. Not sure if this an osolated rain patch, or start of rainy season.

To reiterate what I said about death toll, I personally know of two deaths, Maaka knows if 4, some two people on this small forum know 20% of the entire 30 who have died from the heat, totally implausible. I suspect most deaths are not be recorded as heat effected.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 27, 2024, 3:27 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 27, 2024, 2:34 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
When can we expect this so-called rainy season to arrive? Khon Kaen has barely had any rain in the past six months.

I spent six hours on Thursday at Jomtien Beach. There was a beautiful strong wind. It felt nice.
Its always hot this time of year LYM .. but this year as forecast its even hotter sooner and lasting for longer .. i can see it been this nasty through til June then cooling rain from mid July - Aug - Sept - mid October.

Certainly adds a few zeros to the electric bill

dm

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 27, 2024, 4:08 pm

DM, you going braless until July?

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 27, 2024, 4:37 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:

Take a shower at least once a week whether its needed or not (Australians only).

DM
DM, this post obviously directed to you unaclimentised Poms. As we Aussies hardly break into a sweat under these conditions once a week is fine! BUT I don't share me bath water!!!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 27, 2024, 5:19 pm

Here in Loei province at 1000 feet elevation we had the highest temperature I have ever seen here at 43C. Do we still have climate deniers?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 27, 2024, 5:34 pm

Whistler wrote:
April 27, 2024, 4:08 pm
DM, you going braless until July?
My 34c man boobies have been wobbling free for weeks Whizzy .. of course i wear clothes whenst out n about thus not to scare young children and soi dogs but at home i am .. totally as the day i was born which seems to amuse my dogs and the old lady next door.
Bandung_Dero wrote:
April 27, 2024, 4:37 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:

DM
DM, this post obviously directed to you unaclimentised Poms. As we Aussies hardly break into a sweat under these conditions once a week is fine! BUT I don't share me bath water!!!
Thats strange as i dropped in to see an Aussie mate of mine at his shed here in Udon and he was sat naked in a kiddies paddling pool with his Norwegian mate playing chase the soap ...suppose it must depend exactly where in Auss you originate from.

DM

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 27, 2024, 6:01 pm

Whistler wrote:
April 27, 2024, 2:52 pm
Lym, I think current forecast for rain is mid May. Not sure if this an osolated rain patch, or start of rainy season.

To reiterate what I said about death toll, I personally know of two deaths, Maaka knows if 4, some two people on this small forum know 20% of the entire 30 who have died from the heat, totally implausible. I suspect most deaths are not be recorded as heat effected.
Dying from heat is a tough way to go.

Two more weeks is a long wait in these temperatures, but what can we do?
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 27, 2024, 6:15 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 27, 2024, 2:34 pm
Traditionally the wet season (monsoon) starts mid June when we had the "now banned" rocket/parade festival. It's usually on time. I have only had 3 recordable rain events since 10th Oct here in the rice paddies of Udon.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 27, 2024, 7:48 pm

I bought a 2.1M kiddie pool, is at the front of my place, locals are free to use, 50 baht of ice keeps it cool. Under 1000 baht to buy with air pump.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » April 27, 2024, 8:37 pm

Back to Udon this afternoon after most of the week sat on Wong Amat beach in Patters.

Feels a lot bloody hotter in Udon than this time last week.

Having spent the last 4 months in the North East of England in the bloody cold, rainy and dark days I can tell you I prefer to be bloody hot than freezing b'stard cold!

Unfortunately have to go back to work with the miserable Yorkshire b'stards next week. Not seen anyone smile there since xmas!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 29, 2024, 12:35 am

My maximum Minimum thermometer kept in the shade has had maximums of over 38 every day this month, and over 40 for the last 5 days, highest 42.1 Centigrade. Tends to 'under' report proper meteorological maximums by about 1-2 Centigrade. But Minimum temperature it reports have been over 30 most days (walls, concrete and a overhanging roof keeps it high). Have definitely upped liquid intake and AC has to go back on before lunch.

Health - F-in-L became faint and was ambulanced to Nong Prajak Saturday, but recovered.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”