climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by BillaRickaDickay » November 23, 2023, 7:56 am

More Stumbling,

https://youtu.be/Zk11vI-7czE?si=1G5MbkBXloH7l6ak

It's a long watch, but a quick finger precis will give you the guts of the msg.

He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 14, 2024, 2:11 pm

Climate warrior Jane Goodall isn't sold on carbon taxes and electric vehicles

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/climate-warri ... 12856.html

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 15, 2024, 4:56 pm

Well, now 10 consecutive months of new monthly temperatute records, maybe more to come. Meanwhile, UK and Eire have had so much flooding that wintet crops have done poorly and spring crops cannot be planted. Some fields flooded for 6 months. Food shortages are possible. In Russia and Kazakhstan, extensive floodind due to snow.in the Ural mountains melting early.
We are beginning to.see more and more 'events'.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 15, 2024, 6:49 pm

Rick,

Of course we will, but it has nothing to do with man made greenhouse gases.

All the climate scientists, who are supposed experts are wrong.

- it is sun spots
- It is part of the natural cycle
- CO2 is good for the environment
- it has all happened before there is nothing you can do about it
- All the Right Wing clowns in the Murdoch press who do not have a science degree between them, know better
- it caused by cows fart1ng
- The environment is in great shape and will bounce back
- scientist are liars and manipulate results
- it is a plot by the secret world order to take over the world

One thing is certain. Climate deniers will dismiss every piece of science, denigrate every alternative energy inituative and support right wing climate denying politicians. It is already too late, there is action now to limit the damage and undoubtedly a new but much damaged world will survive.

Too little, too late. It is only the extent of the damage that the future will reveal.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 16, 2024, 1:17 am

True.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 16, 2024, 9:14 am

There is no doubt in my mind that man has upset the natural balance of our globe. One of the main reasons stems from pure greed. Destroying the rain forests is a huge contributor. We will never be able to plant enough trees to put nature back in balance nor will windmills and solar replace oil. Capturing methane from the huge land fills and live stock manure pits would be a step in the right direction. Oil wells still burn off natural gas because it is too expensive to capture it. Unfortunately it's all about money.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 16, 2024, 12:10 pm

I always thought that Kevin Costner had it right with 'Waterworld'.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 17, 2024, 8:07 am

Read an interesting opinion piece on Euronews on how every time a cow burps, an oil executive laughs. Pretty much pillories the hyped-up ruminants methane emission threat when compared with what the downstream fossil fuel chains are "burping" and the attendant misinformation about how substituting meat with plant-based alternatives will save the rainforests.

To me, the expansion of the plant-based meat offerings in the supermarkets (even Big C have dedicated freezers) looks akin to the infamous Y2K apocalypse where people are cashing in on other people's ignorance. I am not saying choosing to go vegetarian or the pursuit of a vegan diet is wrong or arguing the obvious health benefits (for animals). I agree that every little bit helps, I just have questions with the attendant but dubious "save the planet" claims.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 18, 2024, 3:42 pm

and how do cows burping and farting compare to the annual forest burn-offs over here in Southeast Asia? I've never seen a news story focusing on the huge fires and how it causes the smog and filthy air here right now along with the human health issues but its climate effect.. I see the blogs and forums yelling at the Thai government to do something constructive when, in reality Thailand is less of an issue than Cambodia, Laos and Burma, at least looking at NASA's Global Fire Map. And, here's the link.. https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/ma ... ,15.1,5.2z

I imagine the only way to combat the burning would have to be a collaborative push by the affected countries of Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Burma.. Seems to me instead of buying a frigate, perhaps getting an ASEAN Wing of Canadair CL-415 water bombers with designated scoop points on the Mekong and the many lakes and reservoirs in the region.. These Amphibian water bombers are used in Spain, Italy and Greece as well as Canada and the US. Amphibian -= Royal Thai Navy. Buy them 25-50. They've got bases in Issan on the Mekong as well as Nakohn Phanom RTNAF Base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadair_CL-415
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 18, 2024, 7:36 pm

The shortcoming of ASEAN is their constitution pretty much prohibits telling a neighbour what to do. It's a toothless and gutless entity that only serves to make one of the countries look important for a year when they hold the chair. The common southeast Asian cultural trait of "My sh*t don't stink" and "I'm alright Jack" doesn't help much either. Any consideration of a joint effort is prefaced by "But what's in it for ME?"
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 18, 2024, 10:47 pm

And Up to 1.1 billion tones of solid waste is being openly burned worldwide each year and risks the health of “tens of millions of people”, according to a review of the latest scientific evidence. That amounts to about 40 % plus of all the solid waste generated on earth

Screenshot 2024-04-18 181608.png

People generate Trash. The more people the more trash that is generated.

I bet there are a lot of people who go about their daily lives generating trash, then throw that trash out it without any concern as to how it will be eventually disposed off. :-k

The there are others that knowingly buy products (because they taste nice or the odd carton of beer) at the supermarket again without any thought about the trash their purchase will generate, downstream. :-k

Then others, who buy their "I Care" cafe latte at Starbucks, walk outside and just toss it in the trash bin, then go home to claim they are doing part to save the world from climate change.

As individuals ask yourself how much trash do you generate a month, then assume that on average 40% of that trash volume/weight will in all probability be burnt off in a tip - a fair bet in Thailand, most of Asia, Pacific Islands, South America and Africa.

I am not sure how much CO2 emission is generated from burning 1kg of trash, maybe someone will know, but from what I have read, the average person appears to generate 0.75 kg of trash per day and in the western societies it is closer to 1.5 - 2.0 kg of trash per person per day.

If so, and assuming we account for 1 kg of trash per day each, then we all own and push into the system 365 kg of trash each year, of which about 150kg is likely to be burnt off. Now multiply that by 8.0 Billion people and that is a lot of trash being burnt.

And that is the people's contribution, apart from their energy demand and their manufacturing needs and their cars.

I can only assume that we all do out part to F.......k the world. [-( :-k and I personally wouldn't worry about the poor old Cows farting. :confused: :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 19, 2024, 6:20 am

one kg of carbon can produce = 3.67 kg of CO2 if burnt

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » April 19, 2024, 3:40 pm

Thanks Noosard

The article below is in part titled Reality Check"

Extracts from the Article suggest,

1.The world needs a “reality check” on its move from fossil fuels to renewable energy, with JPMorgan warning that it may take “generations” to hit net zero targets. (Net Zero being, achieving a balance between the carbon emitted into the atmosphere, and the carbon removed from it - and not necessarily improving it)

2.The world’s energy system is a process that should be measured in decades, or generations, not years.

3. The US investment bank said efforts to reduce the use of coal, oil and gas had been set back by higher interest rates, inflation and wars in Ukraine and the Middle East. (Some Governments are already scaling back their forecasts, expectations an or promises and we will see how many follow suit in the neat future)

4.Investment in renewable energy “currently offers subpar returns” and that if energy prices rose strongly, there was even a risk of social unrest.

5.That Clean Energy stocks have stalled. (Not a good sign as most investors and also pension funds want to make reasonable returns from the investments in the Stock Market)
Screenshot 2024-04-19 113243.png

6.It was not guaranteed that demand for oil and gas would peak in 2030, as predicted by the International Energy Agency, as the populations of developing countries begin to buy more cars and take more flights

7.JPMorgan forecasts the world will need 108mn barrels of oil a day in 2030, and that building more wind, solar and electric vehicle capacity could add a further 2mn daily barrels to this total. (Consumption of Oil in 2023 was close to 102 million Barrels per day so its still predicted to rise for the next 5 plus years).

7. More and more of the world is getting access to energy and a greater proportion want to use that energy to upgrade their living standards. If that growth continues it puts huge pressure on energy systems and on governments.

No sure many of us will be hear to see it? :-k [-(

https://www.ft.com/content/352b38a7-f29 ... cc1b17444b

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 5, 2024, 12:15 pm

ruang_ID.jpg
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 5, 2024, 2:06 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
April 19, 2024, 3:40 pm
Thanks Noosard

No sure many of us will be hear to see it? :-k [-(

pipoz4444
Yes, robots should be in charge by then.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 5, 2024, 2:10 pm

tamada wrote:
May 5, 2024, 12:15 pm
ruang_ID.jpg
Can't they put some sort of plug like pouring concrete on top of the volcano to stop it spewing out the harmful material to help save the planet.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 5, 2024, 6:04 pm

Sport wrote:
May 5, 2024, 2:10 pm
tamada wrote:
May 5, 2024, 12:15 pm
ruang_ID.jpg
Can't they put some sort of plug like pouring concrete on top of the volcano to stop it spewing out the harmful material to help save the planet.
Only if it stops raining

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 5, 2024, 6:19 pm

More trite comments on volcano activity - straight out of the carbon industries playbook.

Volcano activity can't be controlled.

Human industry carbon-based emissions can. And they are significant.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 5, 2024, 7:11 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 5, 2024, 6:19 pm
More trite comments on volcano activity - straight out of the carbon industries playbook.

Volcano activity can't be controlled.

Human industry carbon-based emissions can. And they are significant.
But not as significant as volcanoes (plural). Even the amount of methane from cows belching and farting is a literally a fart in a thunderstorm.

How's that bicycle working for you? Did you make sure and buy your carbon offsets for all your international air travel bookings?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 5, 2024, 7:48 pm

Shocking "ghost flight" numbers from north of the border.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... ts-4607256
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Open Forum”